Saturday, July 28, 2007

Asian Football Championship Challenge

David & Kurtis on Top of Mount Democrat



I went to a Saudi friend’s house the other night and watched the Saudi Arabian national soccer team win against Japan in the semi-final of the Asian Cup. There a few of us watching and my friend had all the traditional Arabic coffee, tea and snacks so we listened to the announcer in Arabic while chatting in English & munching away.

The funny thing was every time the Saudi team scored everyone leapt up and shouted. Then in very short order my friend’s uncle would come crashing through the door smiling broadly and yelling something almost unintelligible and then he would disappear as quickly as he came. I was laughing so hard because it reminded me of myself with my sons when our teams play basketball or football.

The Saudis earned the chance to play Iraq in the finals so I challenged my son David, who is serving in Iraq, that my Saudi National soccer team would beat his Iraqi team in the finals of the Asian Football Championship. I was wrong! The Iraqis were the better team that day and won the title 1-0.

I took this photo of the two of us from the top of Mount Democrat in Colorado prior to David deploying overseas. We were sitting at over 14,000 feet and had excellent cellular coverage so we just had to phone home. I'm looking forward to the day David returns home so we can get together and climb a few more peaks.

No comments: