Friday, June 30, 2006

Fishing Off Ambergris Caye 5th Installment


Patricia Showing Off the "Technique" She Used to Catch the Biggest and Most Fish of the Day

We moved to another “special sure-to-catch-some spot” and I switched to the front of the boat and the big rod and reel, while Patricia positioned herself aft to try her luck with Erina. Clifford put a bonefish fishhead on my hook for bait and I lowered it away. He set Patricia and Erina up for more bottom fishing all the while chattering about growing up on the sea in Belize.

Clifford told us when he turned 15 and an old fisherman took him in and taught him how and where to fish all the best “never-tell-anyone-else” spots. Not shy at all, he told us how he was basically the best four-sport athlete around and still played in weekly soccer and basketball leagues. He continually interspersed his entertaining stories with, “sink it back down Lady,” “reel it in Girl,” or “Eric, turn the boat, man.” His lively chatter was constant even though he never seemed to stop baiting hooks and removing bulging-eyed black, yellow tail and vermillion snappers Patricia and Erina were reeling up. I only got two really solid bites but lost both fish. The first one broke the 80 pound test line I was using and the second bit through my steel leader and then neatly cleaned Erina’s line too.

Patricia twice caught two fish at a time on her multiple-hook line and ended up catching the biggest and most fish of the day. Erina came in a not too distant second. I ended up last although I had the most fishing experience and was the one who pushed so hard to go fishing in the first place. I didn’t mind it one bit though. I enjoyed seeing Patricia and Erin filling the big cooler with fish and having a bunch of fun doing it.

No comments: