Friday, June 30, 2006

A Day Fishing off Ambergris Caye, Belize


View from The Blue Tang (our Hotel)

Though we all had widely varying opinions on going deep sea fishing, the day we spent fishing was one if the highlights of our vacation. Our morning began with distant springtime thunderheads in the East casting shadows on a glistening crystal clear blue sea. The western Caribbean looked to be promising another beautiful day. While gazing at the beauty of the sea and sipping a hot cup of Belizean coffee with Patricia and Erina, I thought back on my childhood open ocean fishing trips. My father and his Hawaiian Navy buddy used to take me out to Mummy Island off the coast of Mexico south of San Diego. We would leave before dawn and spend all day fishing. We’d get back late, exhausted but very happy, and we always had a great time in any conditions. Today, I was hopeful we would catch more than our fair share of fish and have a great time in the process.

Being the organizer of this fishing expedition, I bantered, cajoled, threatened and heaped shame at my 14 year-old daughter Erina and my wife Patricia until they descended the steps of our third story deck overlooking the sea and were headed down the beach for the pier. Patricia was worried she’d get nauseous riding in a small fishing boat and she’d been fresh water fishing many times before and knew fully well what a patience-driven sport it could be. Erina, on the other hand, appeared she would rather have spent the day strolling, shopping and touring downtown San Pedro.

No comments: