Saturday, March 04, 2006

How Soccer (Football) Explains the World


I have a book titled How Soccer Explains the World, by Franklin Foer, which attempts to explain our world through the history of teams from soccer-loving nations. I lived a little bit of Foer's book the other evening.

This is a photo of my buddy Shallah’s tent which is in front of his house, inside his 3 meter stone fence. This is where we watched Saudi Arabia play Portugal in an International Friendly Football match. These matches are played as tune-ups for this year’s upcoming World Cup matches to be played in Germany beginning June 9.

It is true Sports transcend cultural, national and political boundaries. I enjoyed rooting for the Saudis even though they lost. It was so funny, because just like after a Chiefs or Jayhawks game, the Saudi analysts opined about the plays and players for another 2 hours. I can only understand bits and pieces of the language but the expressions and animation of the Saudi team's analysts didn't need any translation.

I am very jealous! Shallah’s tent has everything guys need to have a good time. It is carpeted, fully lighted and has running water, a TV, fireplace / grill, back rests galore and soft pillows to lean on while you drink your tea, coffee or snack on fruit. I think I'll bring one home with me.

No comments: