Friday, November 03, 2006

Long Journey to Jordan

Just Outside Buraydah, Qassim Area, Saudi Arabia

My friend, Russ, and I had been planning a trip to Jordan to see Petra, the Dead Sea and any other sites we could find for months. We decided to drive the distance because we wanted to see as much of Saudi Arabia as we could. Having been schooled by my father since I was very young on road-trip planning I had all the bases covered. Our car was ready, except for the slightly worn tires, which I couldn’t get replaced due to official Saudi Army funding woes. I traded Russ’ car for his like-new spare so we’d at least have a good back-up just in case. Also, since it was Ramadan and restaurants wouldn’t be open during the day we’d packed food in coolers so we could eat on the journey. Our friends Wayne and Natasha had made the trip a year earlier. Over cups of tea they showed us photos, explained the route, the sites and gave us great advice on where to stay once we arrived so we felt we were ready.


Beautiful Desert Mountains and Valley On the Way to Ha'il

No comments: