Friday, October 13, 2006

Close - But Not Quite



Kuwait Towers

I rented a car with a friend and went to Kuwait yesterday to see my son David before he goes north into Iraq. Unfortunately, when I got there I found out the rules for entry onto the American bases changed last month. I wasn’t allowed in despite my military ID. All I could think of was how depressed he would be. I figured he would be bummed because it would be his last chance to see one of us for awhile.

Luck was with us after all because he was worried about my safety and where I was so he called home to KS (collect!). Patricia then called my cellphone. I was really surprised to get a call at all because of the change in couuntries and cellular service, but she got through and put the phones together. David and I were able to talk to each other via a 16,000 mile round-trip connection. This in spite of being within a mile or so of each other.

After all was done it was a great day. We had a good talk and I was able to visit Kuwait. I only wish I could of actually seen him.

No comments: